RokuService provides many capabilities for Roku devices. Communication with Roku devices occurs over HTTP.
- List, launch, & close apps
- Media playback
- Media control
- Text input control
- Key control (fiveway)
These APIs should work on all Roku devices – they have been tested on Roku 2, Roku 3, and Roku Streaming Stick all runnning Roku 5.3 or later.
To learn more about the Roku External Control APIs, visit the Roku External Control Guide.
- + (void) registerApp:(NSString *)appId
- + (NSDictionary *) discoveryParameters
- A dictionary of keys/values that will be used by the DiscoveryProvider used to discover this DeviceService. Some keys that are used are: service name, SSDP filter, etc.
- + (DeviceService *) deviceServiceWithClass:(Class)_class serviceConfig:(ServiceConfig *)serviceConfig
- serviceConfig: serviceConfig
- + (BOOL) shouldDisconnectOnBackground
Static property that determines whether a DeviceService subclass should shut down communication channels when the app enters a background state. This may be helpful for apps that need to communicate with web apps from the background. This property may not be applicable to all DeviceService subclasses.
Sets the shouldDisconnectOnBackground static property. This property should be set before starting DiscoveryManager for the first time.
- + (void) setShouldDisconnectOnBackround:(BOOL)shouldDisconnectOnBackground
- - (instancetype) initWithServiceConfig:(ServiceConfig *)serviceConfig
- - (BOOL) hasCapability:(NSString *)capability
- - (BOOL) hasCapabilities:(NSArray *)capabilities
- - (BOOL) hasAnyCapability:(NSArray *)capabilities
- - (void) connect
- Will attempt to connect to the DeviceService. The failure/success will be reported back to the DeviceServiceDelegate. If the connection attempt reveals that pairing is required, the DeviceServiceDelegate will also be notified in that event.
- - (void) disconnect
- Will attempt to disconnect from the DeviceService. The failure/success will be reported back to the DeviceServiceDelegate.
- - (void) pairWithData:(id)pairingData
Will attempt to pair with the DeviceService with the provided pairingData. The failure/success will be reported back to the DeviceServiceDelegate.
- pairingData – Data to be used for pairing. The type of this parameter will vary depending on what type of pairing is required, but is likely to be a string (pin code, pairing key, etc).
- - (void) closeLaunchSession:(LaunchSession *)launchSession success:(SuccessBlock)success failure:(FailureBlock)failure
Every LaunchSession object has an associated DeviceService. Internally, LaunchSession’s close method proxies to it’s DeviceService’s closeLaunchSession method. If, for some reason, your LaunchSession loses it’s DeviceService reference, you can call this closeLaunchSession method directly.
- launchSession – LaunchSession to be closed
- success: success – (optional) SuccessBlock to be called on success
- failure: failure – (optional) FailureBlock to be called on failure